tl;dr: 🛠️ Bitcoin X Hacktoberfest = #bitcoinhacktoberfest!
🎉 The article below is... an invitation. Invitation to join Hacktoberfest 2023! An annual global event in October that celebrates and promotes open-source contributions. 🚀 As a mission-driven open-source bitcoin startup, Alby encourages developers to collaboratively shape the future of important technologies.
🛠️ How to Participate: Start with a GitHub or GitLab account, find bitcoin, lightning, or Nostr projects, submit pull requests, and immerse yourself in the community.
🎯 Why?: There are some digital badges (not NFTs! and no t-shirts). And prestige. Bees never forget. But honestly, expertise of people like you helps solve real-world challenges in the bitcoin ecosystem. If you don't have much - this event is a great opportunity to learn. Each code might drive bitcoin's adoption further.
🎫 Joining us? Pick up an Alby Hacktoberfest Ticket 😉 and win prizes (details below) ! 🏆
Read the full article with useful links below!
Are you a developer who's passionate about the bitcoin revolution… or an aspiring one? Do you have a strong desire to contribute to open-source projects that are shaping the future of humanity? If so, we invite you to be part of a sweet opportunity: participation in the Hacktoberfest 2023... as a bitcoin contributor.
Hacktoberfest is an annual event that takes place every October and is designed to encourage open-source software development and contributions. It has gained significant popularity in the software development community. During Hacktoberfest, participants are encouraged to find open-source projects on platforms like GitHub and make contributions to them. These contributions can include bug fixes, documentation improvements, adding new features, and more.
Hacktoberfest serves as a great way for developers to learn more about open-source development, collaborate with the open-source community, and give back to the software community as a whole. It's a global event that promotes the spirit of open collaboration and helps open-source projects by bringing in fresh ideas and contributions from developers around the world.
At Alby, we're more than a small, open-source, bitcoin startup; we're a community of freedom technology enthusiasts and open-source advocates on a mission to simplify and innovate the way the web interacts with bitcoin. We're inviting developers like you to contribute to open-source bitcoin projects, including our own, during this international celebration of open-source.
Why Open-Source matters
We firmly believe in open-source principles, as they foster collaboration, transparency, and innovation. As most of our readers already know, bitcoin embodies these ideals.
Let's take a moment to understand why open-source holds a special place in Alby's mission:
- Decentralization: Alby values the decentralized ethos inherent in open-source projects. This decentralization ensures diverse input and perspectives, leading to robust and inclusive software solutions, moreove it allow many various developers to inspect and validate code, ensuring the reliability of the software users engage with.
- Innovation: Open-source is the cornerstone of collaboration and innovation in the developers’ communities. It enables the power of decentralized intelligence, where developers from around the world come together to build, improve, and innovate upon shared code. Today, the bitcoin & Nostr ecosystems are hotbeds of innovation, and Alby is playing a crucial role, providing the easiest blocks to build there.
- Skill Enhancement: Open-source is an incredible platform for skill development. By contributing to open-source projects, developers have the chance to learn from experienced peers, enhance their coding skills, and gain practical, real-world experience. Which is constantly the case for many of our contributors.
- Building the Future Together: Alby believes in a future where transparent and decentralized networks are at the forefront of technological progress. It's not just about the present; it's about collectively shaping the future of software, one pull request at a time. The community of bitcoiners is a passionate and global network of individuals who share this vision.
Join Hacktoberfest 2023 contributing to Bitcoin, Lightning or Nostr
Our participation in the Hacktoberfest 2023 isn't just about Alby—it's about you and your potential to make a lasting impact on the bitcoin open-source ecosystem.
Developers of all levels, from beginners to advanced, are encouraged to participate in the Hacktoberfest and contribute to the bitcoin open-source ecosystem. There are 10,000 bitcoin-related repositories on GitHub!
There are plenty of compelling reasons to be part of the bitcoin, lightning and Nostr open-source community. Engaging in open-source projects makes you a vital contributor to ongoing development, enhancement and innovation of freedom technologies. Whether you're a newcomer or an expert, this journey provides invaluable experiences and insights. Beyond code, you connect with a passionate community in Alby's network. Your contributions can also earn recognition and rewards in the bitcoin community. Your involvement upholds open-source values like transparency, cooperation, and shared knowledge.
If you believe in bitcoin and can write code - there is no question - let's set an example and contribute together this October!
Getting Started with Hacktoberfest 2023:
Anyone who is interested in diving in, and everyone who’s already part of the open-source software community is welcome to participate. Participating in the Hacktoberfest 2023 is easy:
- Create a GitHub account & find projects to contribute to: This is where you will submit your pull requests and track your progress. Visit bitcoin-related GitHub repositories to explore projects and familiarize yourself with their goals and requirements. You can browse the list of participating projects on the Hacktoberfest website, or you can search for projects that you're interested in on GitHub (look for the hacktoberfest topic/label). Projects for starting developers are often tagged good-first-issue.
- Register - start contributing:
To start participating in Hacktoberfest, you need to submit a pull request or a merge request to any GitHub or GitLab public repository that’s participating as well. Dive into the project, whether it's fixing bugs, adding features, or enhancing documentation. Pull requests can be made in Your contributions will be reviewed by experienced maintainers. They must accept your pull/merge requests for them to count toward your result.
- Engage with the Community:Explore bitcoin forums, groups for devs and platforms dedicated to building on bitcoin. We can recommend you to try Stacker.news, Bolt.fun, Plebnet.dev or our Telegram chat. There is also the official Discord server for Hacktoberfest. Share your progress, ask questions, and collaborate with fellow contributors.
- Brag about it:
Once you've accomplished your contributions to the open-source during Hacktoberfest, don't be shy about it! Share your accomplishments on social media (#hacktoberfest, #bitcoinhacktoberfest, in your professional networks, or even with your friends and family. It's a fantastic way to inspire others to get involved in open-source and showcase your dedication to the ethos.
Your journey in Hacktoberfest is not just about coding; it's about becoming part of a global movement and making a positive impact on the world of open-source development. So, go ahead and brag a little – you've earned it!
Contribute... and get rewards!
Alby invites you to take part in this global celebration of open-source by contributing to the bitcoin open-source ecosystem during Hacktoberfest 2023. It's about strengthening the bitcoin community, advancing technology, and making a difference in the world of finance.
🎁🎁🎁 After Hacktober commences, Alby will reward 3 developers who had the most accepted PRs/MRs in our repositories!
🏆🏆🏆 Contribute to Alby this month and win: recognition, Nostr Beekeeper badge, Alby merchandise (stickers, socks, gadgets). And... see you on Telegram ;)
Embrace the bitcoin revolution, contribute to open-source bitcoin projects, and be a driving force behind the decentralized future. Join us today, and let's build the bitcoin ecosystem together—one pull request at a time!
Suggested issues at Alby's repositories include:
- Fixing readability of QR codes
- Adding Mutiny NWC connector
- Enable auto-lock of the extension
- Tipping integration for Substack
Thank you all for adding your value to the world of open code - these steps lead us to a freer future!
And good luck to all participants 👋!
Links to remember:
Public repositories participating in Hacktoberfest 👉 https://github.com/topics/hacktoberfest
Alby’s GitHub profile 👉 https://github.com/getAlby/
Issues in Alby’s GitHub suggested to be solved by Hacktoberfest 2023 participants 👉 https://github.com/search?q=org%3AgetAlby label%3Ahacktoberfest&type=issues
List of public bitcoin-related repositories, participating in Hacktoberfest 👉 https://github.com/search?q=topic%3Ahacktoberfest+topic%3Abitcoin&type=repositories&s=stars&o=desc
List of nostr-related repositories, participating in Hacktoberfest 👉 https://github.com/search?q=topic%3Ahacktoberfest+topic%3Anostr&type=repositories&s=stars&o=desc