A Lightning Address is a human-readable text that replaces the need for QR Codes to send a creator Bitcoin over the Lightning Network.
It is a protocol to empower everyone to send money like we send emails - instantly and abundantly.
Since it looks like an email address, it is easy to share and remember. A user can connect their own Lightning node to an Alby address and receive sats directly in their private wallet. Watch the video below to learn how you can get your own Lightning Address with Alby to start exchanging sats within seconds!
Step 1a: Visit https://getalby.com/
- Scroll down to ‘Get a Lightning Address’
Step 1b: Visit https://getalby.com/lightning-address directly
Step 2: Click on ‘Create Lightning Address’, a new page opens
- Give yourself an easy to remember name
Remember, your Lightning Address can’t be changed at a later date so choose wisely
Step 3: Click on ‘Create Address’, a new page opens
- Type your email address
- Give a strong password
- Retype the password
The email and password are needed to help you access your Lightning Address in case you forget
Step 4: Click ‘Sign Up’, a new page opens
- You will see your chosen Lightning Address here
- If you want, you can rename it here
If the Lightning Address you have chosen is already taken, you will receive a prompt
Step 5: Click ‘Create Address’, a new page opens
Your Lightning Address is now ready to send and receive Bitcoin. You can -
- Click on ‘Account’ to see a list of your transactions
- Click on ‘Wallet’ to add your wallet to the Alby extension or BlueWallet
- Click on ‘Settings’ to connect your LND node or edit your details